VMware ESX 3.5, Patch ESX350-200912401-BG: Updates VMkernel, Tools, hostd (1016657)
Release Date: December 29, 2009
Summaries and Symptoms
- ESX hosts might get disconnected from VirtualCenter Server. This issue occurs when the ESX hosts are a part of DRS cluster and snapshots and VCB operations are performed on their virtual machines.
The host agent on ESX hosts might stop responding to VI Client connections, VirtualCenter Server connection and internal or third-party SDK scripts or applications connections.
- After powering on and performing operations on the virtual machines, accessing the virtual machine's Events tab from the VI Client displays an error message and generates error messages in the hostd log file. This error is displayed when accessed from the VI Client connected to ESX hosts or through VI Client connected through VirtualCenter Server to ESX hosts.
After applying this patch, no error messages are displayed when the Events tab is accessed from the VI Client and in the hostd log file.
The following symptom might occur without this patch:
When the Events tab is accessed from the VI Client, the a general system error has occurred error message appears.
- Enabling NTP service through VI Client or VirtualCenter might generate incorrect /etc/ntp.conf and /etc/ntp/step-tickers configuration files, and might cause the NTP service not to synchronize with the NTP Server. After applying this fix, the strings in ntp.conf and the step-tickers files in /etc/ntp/ are updated correctly.
- Adds support for SGI InfiniteStorage 4000, 4100, and 4600 Storage Arrays.
- Installing VMware Tools fails during the initialization of vmxnet fast network service. The vmxnet fast network service fails after booting SLES 10 virtual machines with the following kernels:
The following message might be displayed on the SLES 10 console:
Starting VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
Switching to guest configuration: done
Guest memory manager: done
Guest vmxnet fast network device: failed
DMA setup: done
Guest operating system daemon: done
Unable to start services for VMware Tools
- Storage vMotion fails with the following error:
Source detected that destination failed to resume.
This occurs when performing storage vMotion of a virtual machine having at least two disks, of which one is RDM (located in the same folder as VMX), and the others are normal VMDK files in the destination VMFS volume. Both the RDM pointer and the normal VMDK file should have the same name for this issue to occur. The normal VMDK files are also deleted when storage vMotion fails.
When the virtual machine is powered on the next time after this failure, the following error is displayed: Cannot open the disk.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table, above.
Patch Download and Installation
To update ESX 3.5 hosts when not using Update Manager, download the most recent patch bundle from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches_35.html and install the bundle using esxupdate from the command line of the host. For more information, see the ESX Server 3 Patch Management Guide .