VMware ESXi 4.0, Patch ESXi400-200911202-UG: Updates VMware Tools (1014887)
Release Date: November 19, 2009
Summaries and Symptoms
This patch fixes the following issues:
- Virtual machines sometimes fail with a blue screen when hardware acceleration is enabled fully. Virtual machine fails displaying a blue screen when you run certain applications with the hardware acceleration enabled fully in Windows guest operating system. This is an issue with the SVGA driver, which is resolved in this release.
- vSphere Client does not show correct identifier for FreeBSD operating system. The Summary tab in the vSphere Client does not display the correct identifier for FreeBSD guest operating system. This issue is resolved in this release.
- Font rendering issue in virtual machines when viewing in widescreen. When a virtual machine is configured for widescreen resolution, fonts appear distorted in Microsoft Office applications. This issue appears when the resolution is set to 2560 x 1024. The issue is resolved in this release.
For a complete list of the issues fixed in ESXi 4.0 Update 1, see the ESXi 4.0 Update 1 Release Notes.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table above.
Patch Download and Installation
The typical way to apply patches to ESXi hosts is through the VMware Update Manager. For details, see the VMware vCenter Update Manager Administration Guide.
- Using the vSphere Host Update Utility.
For more information about the vSphere Host Update Utility, see the vSphere Upgrade Guide.
- Manually downloading the patch zip file from http://support.vmware.com/selfsupport/download/ and installing the bulletin by using the vihostupdate command through the vSphere CLI.
For more information about the vSphere CLI, see the vSphere CLI Installation and Reference Guide.