Custom or database dependent applications hosted on shared storage fail to start (1013868)
- The server on which the custom application is running has been converted.
- The shared storage on which the database is hosted was removed or remapped from the physical server.
- All services from within the Windows msconfig utility (except Microsoft and VMware Converter services) are disabled
- The shared storage has been remapped.
Certain applications use security protocols that require a sequence of operations to ensure data protection.
To resolve this issue, disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) from within the Windows operating system.
To disable DEP:
- Right click on My Computer and click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings.
- In the System Startup area, click Edit. This opens the file boot.ini.
- In a text editor, modify the parameter /noexecute=optin to /noexecute=AlwaysOff.
- Save the changes and restart the server.
For more information about Windows DEP, see the Microsoft knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of March 24, 2010. If you find the link is broken, please provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.