VMware ESX 3.5, Patch ESX350-200908407-BG: Updates kernel source and vmnix (1013183)
Release Date: August 31, 2009
This patch updates the service console kernel for the following fixes:
- The forcedeth driver installed on the ESX hosts causes the NVIDIA nForce Network Controller NICs to lose network connectivity under certain circumstances. The affected NICS are:
- NVIDIA nForce Professional 2200 MCP 1Gbe NIC
- NVIDIA nForce Professional 2050 I/O companion chip 1Gbe NIC
- NVIDIA nForce Professional 3600 1Gbe NIC
- Fixes an issue in the bnx2x driver that might cause a network outage if you change the maximium transmission unit (MTU) value on a Broadcom Netxtreme II 10gig NIC.
- The mptscsi_2xx driver limits the discovery of targets to 63 SAS devices per LSI Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) host bus adapter (HBA). This fix increases the number of targets to the value returned by the HBA firmware.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table, above.
Patch Download and Installation
Note: All virtual machines on the ESX host must be either shut down or migrated using VMotion before applying the patch. A reboot of the ESX host is required after applying this patch.
See the VMware Update Manager Administration Guide for instructions on using Update Manager to download and install patches to automatically update ESX 3.5 hosts.
To update ESX 3.5 hosts when not using Update Manager, download the most recent patch bundle from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches_35.html and install the bundle using esxupdate from the command line of the host. For more information, see the ESX Server 3 Patch Management Guide.