The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
The Hardware Status tab displays the error: Hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding or not available (1013080)
You are experiencing these issues with the Hardware Status tab in vCenter Server:
- An ESX host's System Summary reports the error:
Hardware monitoring service on this host is not responding or not available
This issue may occur when the ESX host is located in a DMZ and is being managed by a vCenter Server that is outside the DMZ. It may occur if port 5989 is blocked, even if ESX and vCenter Server are in the same network.
To resolve this issue, ensure that TCP port 5989 (incoming and outgoing) is open to allow CIM transaction traffic to pass between the ESX host and vCenter and vice-versa.
For more information about firewall configuration and ports, see:
- Firewalls for Configurations with vCenter Server and TCP and UDP Ports for Management Access in the ESX Configuration Guide.
- TCP and UDP Ports for vCenter Server, ESX hosts, and other network components management access (1012382)
Alternatively, you can see if restarting the Common Information Model (CIM) service, which is the process used for providing hardware health information, resolves the issue.
- Open an SSH session to the host. For more information, see Opening a command or shell prompt (1003892)
- Run this command:
- Go back to the Hardware Status tab on vCenter Server and click the Update link. It may take up to 5 minutes to refresh.
Note: Do not navigate away from the Hardware Status tab until it refreshes.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.