The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to create more than one vmknic on the same subnet (1013077)
- Creating another vmknic on the same subnet fails
- If you try to create another vmknic on the same subnet, you may get an error similar to:
Error during the configuration of the host: SysinfoException: Node (VSI_NODE_net_tcpip_plumb); Status(bad0005)= Already exists; Message= Unable to Set
- In ESX Server 3.0, you can have two vmknics with IP addresses in the same subnet. In this configuration, all outgoing traffic to the IP subnet always transmit on the first vmknic, incoming unicast traffic goes to the vmknic with matching IP address, incoming broadcast traffic goes to both the vmknics. In general, the second vmknic in the same IP subnet provides no added network connectivity and can cause issues in some corner cases.
- ESX 3.5.x and ESXi 3.5.x Installable do not support multiple vmknics on the same IP subnet.
- ESX/ESXi 4.x support two vmknics that are configured on the same subnet.
Warning: There are possible issues when configuring VMkernel on the same subnet. For more information, see Multi-homing on ESX/ESXi (2010877).
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.