The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
After LUN Resignature, Unable to see that a LUN is Connected to a Host (1012471)
In a VMware ESX host, if you have a datastore volume on a SCSI LUN, and you change the LUN ID assignments on the iSCSI target side so that it uses a different LUN number, vCenter no longer recognizes this LUN due to mismatch of UUID and LUN ID.
In the vCenter Configuration/Storage Adapters page, do the following:
- Rescan the data adapters to find the altered LUN.
- In Storage, select Add Storage.
- Select the LUN that matches the altered LUN parameters.
- Select to resignature the LUN.
The LUN is resignatured and added to Datastore list in Lab Manager.
Note: Do not delete any of the datastores from Lab Manager. this may remove them from the Lab Manager database, and cannot be recovered.
Note: The UUID of a datastore is dependent on many factors:
- In the case of block storage such as iSCSI or Fiber Channel, the datastore UUID is based on a number of factors such as HBA WWN, IQN, SAN identifiers, etc. If any of these change it may result in the datastore UUID changing too.
- In the case of NFS storage, it is relative to the complete export folder path used to mount the volume. As an example the following three paths point to the exact same path on the same array but they will be mounted with a different UUID:
Note: In the case of NFS datastores it is critical to use the exact same mount options for all ESX hosts to ensure they are mounted with the same datastore UUID.
To associate a resignatured datastore with the information that Lab Manager had before the resignaturing:
- Login to the Lab Manager Web console as an system administrator.
- In your browser's Address field, type:
https://<lab manager IP address>/LabManager/ControlPanel/StorageServer/AssociateServers.aspx
- In Old datastore, select the name of the datastore before it was resignatured.
- In Resignatured datastore, select the new datastore entry that appeared in Lab Manager after resignaturing.
- Click OK.
- If Lab Manager has not immediately picked up the datastores via Virtual Center, a resync of the Lab Manager inventory is necessary. In Lab Manager navigate to System ->Settings - vCenter and select 'OK'. Once the synch has finished the Datastore and Host will now be associated in Lab Manager.
The Associate Server checks whether the Lab Manager list of files and the actual files on the datastore match and begins to combine the two datastore entries, You can view the progress of the task in the Activity Log page. When the process is complete, you need to log in to vCenter and refresh the datastores to insure that everything is up to date.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.