The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Configuring VMDirectPath I/O pass-through devices on a VMware ESX or VMware ESXi host (1010789)
About VMDirectPath I/O passthrough devicesThe supported maximums for passthrough devices are:
- ESX\ESXi 4.0: 2 Devices
- ESX\ESXi 4.1: 4 Devices
- ESX\ESXi 5.0: 4 Devices
- ESX\ESXi 5.1: 4 Devices
- ESX\ESXi 5.5: 16 Devices
- ESX\ESXi 6.x: 16 Devices
Configuring passthrough devices
Prior to configuring a device for PCI Passthrough, ensure the platform and device meets the PCI Passthrough requirements, see VMware vSphere VMDirectPath I/O: Requirements for Platforms and Devices (2142307).
To configure passthrough devices on an ESX/ESXi host:
- Select an ESX\ESXi host from the Inventory of VMware vSphere Client.
- In the Configuration tab, click Hardware Advanced Settings. The passthrough Configuration page lists all available pass-through devices.
Note: A green icon indicates that a device is enabled and active. An orange icon indicates that the state of the device has changed and the host must be rebooted before the device can be used.
- Click Edit.
- Select the devices and click OK.
- When the devices are selected, they are marked with an orange icon. Reboot for the change to take effect. After rebooting, the devices are marked with a green icon and are enabled.
Note: The configuration changes are saved in the /etc/vmware/esx.conf file.
The PCI slot number where the device was connected is 00:0b:0. It is recorded as:
/device/000:11.0/owner = "passthru"
Note: 11 is the decimal equivalent of the hexadecimal 0b.
To configure a PCI device on a virtual machine:
- From the Inventory in vSphere Client, right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Click the Hardware tab.
- Click Add.
- Choose the PCI Device.
- Click Next.
Note: When the device is assigned, the virtual machine must have a memory reservation for the full configured memory size.
For HP Proliant servers experiencing issues with VMDirectPath, this is a known issue in VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch Release ESXi510-201307001 (2052143) and later. These issues are addressed in VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201501001 (2099265). For more information, see HP Advisory c03835455.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of July 9, 2014. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.