The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
VMware support for USB/SD devices used for installing VMware ESXi (1010574)
You can install ESXi to a USB or SD flash storage device directly attached to the server. This option is intended to allow you to gain experience with deploying a virtualized server without relying on traditional hard disks. However, VMware supports this option only under these conditions:
- The server on which you want to install ESXi is listed on the VMware Compatibility Guide.
- You have purchased a server with ESXi Embedded on the server from a certified vendor.
- You have used a USB or SD flash device that is approved by the server vendor for the particular server model on which you want to install ESXi on a USB or SD flash storage device.
If you intend to install ESXi on a USB or SD flash storage device while ensuring VMware support for it and you have not purchased a server with Embedded ESXi, consult your server vendor for the appropriate choice of a USB or SD flash storage device.
If you are installing ESXi on to a USB or SD Flash device, you cannot use the Scripted Install feature introduced in vSphere 4.x. For more information on the benefits and limitations of Scripted Install, see Deploying ESXi 4.1 using the Scripted Install feature (1022263).
- Supported USB device models for passthrough from an ESX or ESXi host to a virtual machine
- Installing ESXi 5.0 on a supported USB flash drive or SD flash card
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.