LUN filtering mechanism during RDM creation (1010513)
This LUN filtering mechanism helps prevent LUN corruption that might occur if these conditions are not met:
- The same LUN cannot be used for a VMFS datastore and RDM simultaneously.
- Two virtual machines cannot have access to the same LUN using two different RDM mapping files.
- Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service for ESX/ESXi 4.1
- Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service for ESXi 5.1
config.vpxd.filter.vmfsFilter configuration options in the vSphere Client control the LUN filtering mechanism. The options are set to
true by default, but can be individually set to
false when you need to turn off any of the filters.
However, you should not turn the filters off unless you have other methods to prevent LUN corruption.
Note: If you are upgrading your environment, it is important to check the values after the upgrade as the values can return to their default setting.
To turn off any of the filters:
- In the vSphere Client, click Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Advanced Settings.
- Depending on your needs, add one or both of these key and value pairs:
- Click Add, then click OK.
To turn the filters on again, set the values to
Note: For related information, see: