The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Disabling system beeps in a Vista virtual machine (1009490)
This article guides you through the process of preventing a Vista guest operating system from causing your host PC speaker to beep in response to certain system events. The workarounds assist you in addressing guest operating system problems that can cause this, and describes preventing your host PC speaker from beeping as a result.
Based on your requirements, perform one of these procedures to prevent your host PC speaker from beeping:
- Correct the problems with your Windows Vista guest operating system that is generating the beep. For more info, see Sound is not working in Windows virtual machine (1003425).
- Prevent any virtual machine from causing your host PC speaker to beep. For more information, see Turning off the PC speaker for all virtual machines (1664).
Note: This affects every virtual machine.
- Disable the system beep for this Windows Vista guest operating system.
From inside Windows Vista:
- Right-click My Computer and click Manage.
- Click Device Manager.
- Click View > Show hidden devices.
- Right-click Beep and click Properties.
- Click Driver.
- Under Startup > Type, click System > Disabled.
- Click OK.
- Restart the operating system.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.