The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Virtual machines do not have network connectivity after migration (1009299)
If the vSwitch port limit is set lower than the required number of ports for migration and you migrate virtual machines in an HA cluster, the virtual machines do not have network connectivity on the new host machine.
- Caution: If you have HA or DRS enabled and you are migrating virtual machines when the vSwitch port limit is set to low, note the following:
- As you might not have enough ports to accommodate the virtual machines in the destination host, the network connectivity will be lost.
- You might not be able to increase the port numbers as you must restart the ESX Server host after increasing the port number.
Before migration, increase the number of vSwitch ports on the basis of the number of virtual machines that needs to be migrated. The default vSwitch port limit is 56.
Note: After updating the number of vSwitch ports, you must restart the ESX Server.
To increase the number of vSwitch ports:
- In the Configuration tab on the VI Client, click the Networking link.
- In the Networking pane, click Properties.
- Select the Ports tab.
- Select vSwitch and click Edit.
- In the General tab, choose the required number of ports from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- Close the vSwitch Properties window.
- Restart the ESX Server.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.