Configuring VMware View Client to bypass Internet Explorer proxy settings (1009238)
The VMware View Client automatically uses the proxy settings configured in Internet Explorer. In some environments. this may not be the desired behavior.
This article provides steps to configure the VMware View Client to bypass Internet Explorer proxy settings.
To bypass Internet Explorer proxy settings in View 3.x:
- Click Start > Run, type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens.
- Create this registry key as a multi-string value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\ProxyBypass
- Add the connections server's hostname or FQDN as the value for the key. The value must match the external URL defined for the connection server.
Note: You can add additional hosts if needed.
- Reboot for the changes to take effect.
View 4.x and later
In View 4.x and later you can use the GPO setting to bypass the Internet Explorer proxy settings.
The GPO setting is in the Tunnel proxy bypass address list. For more information on the GPO, see the View Client Configuration Template: General Settings table in the VMware View Administration Guide.
Note: In View 4.x there are two registry keys created by the GPO:
- For tunneled connections:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\TunnelProxyBypass
- For direct connections:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\ProxyBypass
- In View 5.x, the GPO creates only one registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\TunnelProxyBypass.
- This GPO setting cannot be used for direct connections to desktops in View 5.x and later.
- If the applying the GPO does not resolve the issue, try bypassing the proxy for local addresses. See Microsoft TechNet articles, Bypassing the Proxy Server or How to configure client proxy server settings by using a registry file for more information.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of May 16, 2014. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.