The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Installing the Performance Overview plug-in in VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4 and above (1008296)
Performance Overview is an optional plug-in available with VirtualCenter 2.5. If the Performance Overview plug-in is installed, the Performance Overview tab in the VirtualCenter displays a single view of key performance metrics for CPU, memory, disk, and network without navigating through multiple charts.
Note: The article is applicable for VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4 and above only.
Prior to installing the Performance Overview plug-in:
- Copy the VirtualCenter 2.5 build to the VirtualCenter Server system. For example, copy the CD contents to the VirtualCenter's local disk.
Note: If the contents of the folders vpx\perfCharts (iso) or bin\perfCharts (ZIP) are not copied to the local drive of the VirtualCenter Server, an Access Denied error appears when the install.bat command is run later in the installation process.
- If you are upgrading to VirtualCenter 2.5, stop the VMware Infrastructure Web Access service before upgrading the VirtualCenter.
- Install or upgrade to VirtualCenter 2.5 and start the VMware Infrastructure Web Access service.
- Download Java SE Development Kit 6u11, and install JDK 1.6.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of May 5, 2009. If you find the link to be broken, provide feedback on the article and a VMware employee will update the article as necessary.
- Configure the home and the path environment variables:
- Right-click My Computer and click Properties.
- In the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
- In the System variable list, select Path and click Edit.
- In Variable value, append C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\bin\.
If an older version of JRE is present, run the following command in the command window:
set path=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\bin\;%path%
Note: This command is an example. It replaces your current path. If your path already has links, you have to append it to the list.
In the System variable list, select JAVA_HOME and click Edit. If JAVA_HOME does not exist, click New and in the Variable name, enter JAVA_HOME.
In Variable value, enter C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11.
Open a new command prompt and type echo %PATH% and press Enter to verify the path setting.
Log out and log back in to the VirtualCenter Server. If the system change did not take effect, you must reboot the system.
To install the Performance Overview plug-in:
- In the command window of VirtualCenter Server system, go to the vpx/perfCharts folder, the location where the Performance Overview plug-in is available. If you are using the ZIP file, go to the bin\perfCharts folder.
- Run install.bat <VirtualCenter_Username> <VirtualCenter_Password>
Note: Ensure your password does not contain blank spaces.
- If you receive an error during install indicating that the jar is not recognized, see A jar is not recognized error appears when installing the Performance Overview Plug-in (1011281).
- If the VirtualCenter Server is using the SQL Express Bundled database, see Performance Overview Plug-In Requirements When VirtualCenter Is Using the SQL Express Bundled Database (1008329).
- If you did not stop the VMware Web Access service before upgrading to VirtualCenter 2.5, see Performance Overview Charts Might Fail to Display if VirtualCenter Is Upgraded Without Stopping the VMware Infrastructure Web Access Service (1008330).
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.