The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
ESX 3.5 Update 3 host fails to boot after installing ESX 3.5 driver CD (1007857)
- If the e1000e 0.4.1.7 or the ixgbe 188.8.131.52 driver CD is installed on an ESX 3.5 Update 3 host, the server may fail to boot
- This issue may also occur on ESX 3.5 Update 2 hosts with these drivers installed if they are upgraded to Update 3
- In both cases, the host boots into a basic maintenance shell instead of booting the ESX host software
Note: The driver CDs are not shipped with ESX Server 3.5, but are instead available as separate downloads. Do not install these drivers if you use ESX 3.5 Update 3. If you use ESX 3.5 Update 2 and have either of these drivers installed, do not upgrade to ESX 3.5 Update 3.
- The following driver CDs do not work with ESX 3.5 Update 3:
- ESX 3.5 Driver CD for driver e1000e version 0.4.1.7
- VMware ESX 3.5 Driver CD for driver ixgbe version 184.108.40.206
To resolve this issue, download and apply the following update: https://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/drivercd/esx350-ixgbe-3220.127.116.11.6-136074.html.
Note: If you have already encountered this issue and your server is not bootable, contact VMware technical support for assistance.
To prevent this issue:
- Do not upgrade to ESX 3.5 Update 3 if you have used either of these driver CDs.
- Do not install these driver CDs if you are already using ESX 3.5 Update 3.
Note: VMware is preparing a new version of these driver CDs for ESX 3.5 Update 3.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.