ESX Server 3.0.2, Patch ESX-1007674: Security Update to libxml2 in Service Console (1007674)
- An integer overflow flaw causing a heap-based buffer overflow was found in the libxml2 XML parser. If an application linked against libxml2 processes untrusted, malformed XML content, it might cause the application to stop responding. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2008-4226 to this issue.
- A denial-of-service flaw was discovered in the libxml2 XML parser. If an application linked against libxml2 processes untrusted, malformed XML content, it might cause the application to enter an infinite loop. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2008-4225 to this issue.
Download and verify the patch bundle as follows:
- Download patch ESX-1007674 from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html.
- Log in to the ESX Server service console as root.
- Create a local depot directory.
# mkdir -p /var/updates
Note: VMware recommends that you use the updates directory.
- Change your working directory to /var/updates.
# cd /var/updates
- Download the tar file into the /var/updates directory.
- Verify the integrity of the downloaded tar file:
# md5sum ESX-1007674.tgz
The md5 checksum output should match the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive:
# tar -xvzf ESX-1007674.tgz
- Change to the newly created directory, /var/updates/ESX-1007674:
# cd ESX-1007674
After you download and extract the archive, and if you are in the directory that you previously created, use the following command to install the update:
# esxupdate update
To run esxupdate from a different directory, you must specify the bundle path in the command:
# esxupdate -r file://<directory>/ESX-1007674 update
For example, if the host is called depot:
# esxupdate -r file:///depot/var/updates/ESX-1007674 update
During the update process, logs appear on the terminal. You can specify the verbosity of esxupdate logs by using the -v option as shown, below.
# esxupdate -v 10 file://<directory>/ESX-1007674 update
For more information on how to use esxupdate, see the Patch Management for ESX Server 3 tech note at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_esxupdate.pdf.