The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Cannot connect to NFS network share (1007352)
This issue may occur if there is a problem connecting to the NFS Server.
Note: Run all commands in these steps from the ESXi/ESX command line with root access.
- Ensure that you can ping and vmkping the NFS server address.
- Ensure that any firewalls between the ESX host and NFS Server do not block the connection.
- Ensure the access on the NFS server is set to Anonymous user, Root Access (no_root_squash), and Read/Write.
- Try to restore the mount with this command:
# esxcfg-nas -r
- Check to see if the datastore has mounted after trying to restore it with:
# esxcfg-nas -l
- If it is not mounted, try remounting it using this command:
# esxcfg-nas -a datastore_name -o nfs_server_hostname/ip -s mount_point
Alternatively try to add the datastore again using the vSphere client:
- For security reasons RPC protocol filtering is enabled and the connection is refused. Open firewall ports on the network for RPC protocol and check the physical switch for any RPC protocol filtering.
On ESX hosts only (Does not apply to ESXi hosts):
- Check ESX firewall open ports with this command:
# esxcfg-firewall -q
Note: Check the output for
NFSClient. If it is not listed, proceed to step 9.
- Open the NFS client firewall ports 111 and 2049 on UDP and TCP protocol either on vCenter Server or on ESX with the command:
# esxcfg-firewall --enableService nfsClientAlternatively, modify the security policy in vSphere Client. Click Configuration > Security Profile > Properties, select NFS Client and click OK.
Note : Ensure that the ports 111 and 2049 are also open on the NFS server.
This issue can also occur if:
- There is a misconfiguration on the Switch port. In this case, try using a different vmnic (or move NICs to Unused/Standby in the NIC teaming tab of the vSwitch or Portgroup properties).
- The name of the NAS server is not resolved from the host side or vice versa. In this case, ensure that the DNS server and host-side entries are set properly.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.