ESX Server 3.0.2, Patch ESX-1006968: Security Updates to the ESX Server Service Console Packages for libxml2 (1006968)
This patch updates the ESX Server service console packages for libxml2.The patch fixes the following security issue:
A denial of service flaw was found in the way libxml2 processes certain content. If an application that is linked against libxml2 processes malformed XML content, the XML content might cause the application to stop responding.The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2008-3281 to this issue.
Download and verify the patch bundle as follows:
- Download patch ESX-1006968 from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html.
- Log in to the ESX Server service console as root.
- Create a local depot directory.
# mkdir -p /var/updates
Note: VMware recommends that you use the updates directory.
- Change your working directory to /var/updates.
# cd /var/updates
- Download the tar file into the /var/updates directory.
- Verify the integrity of the downloaded tar file:
# md5sum ESX-1006968.tgz
The md5 checksum output should match the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive:
# tar -xvzf ESX-1006968.tgz
- Change to the newly created directory, /var/updates/ESX-1006968:
# cd ESX-1006968
After you download and extract the archive, and if you are in the directory that you previously created, use the following command to install the update:
# esxupdate update
To run esxupdate from a different directory, you must specify the bundle path in the command:
# esxupdate -r file://<directory>/ESX-1006968 update
For example, if the host is called depot:
# esxupdate -r file:///depot/var/updates/ESX-1006968 update
During the update process, logs appear on the terminal. You can specify the verbosity of esxupdate logs by using the -v option as shown, below.
# esxupdate -v 10 file://<directory>/ESX-1006968 update
For more information on how to use esxupdate, see the Patch Management for ESX Server 3 tech note at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_esxupdate.pdf.