Not enough licenses installed in vSphere/Virtual Infrastructure (1005265)
- You cannot connect an ESX/ESXi host to vCenter Server/VirtualCenter
- You cannot use additional features such as vMotion, DRS or VMware HA
- You are unable to power on a virtual machine
- You receive one or more of the following errors:
- Feature vmotion is not licensed with this edition.
- Feature hotplug is not licensed with this edition.
- Feature ft is not licensed with this edition.
- There are not enough licenses installed to perform the operation.
- Host cannot be added to the vCenter as there are not enough Virtual Center Agent Licenses
This article guides you through troubleshooting missing or incorrectly installed licenses on the License Server. The article provides steps to eliminate common causes leading to an insufficient licenses error.
Verify that the feature in question is part of the ESX/ESXi edition purchased.
- For vSphere 5.x, see Licensing ESXi 5.x and vCenter Server 5.x (2014295).
- For vSphere 4.x , see Licensing ESX 4.x, ESXi 4.x, and vCenter Server 4.x (1010839).
- For VI 3.x, see VMware Products in VI3.5 Foundation, Standard and Enterprise Editions (1003296).
For vSphere 4.x and above, see Verifying that a feature is licensed in vSphere (1003692).
For VI 3.x, see Viewing the number of CPU Licenses using the VI Client (1005262).
For vSphere 4.x and above, see Using a product feature fails with the error: Feature is not licensed with this edition (1034773).
For VI 3.x, see ESX 3.x Server and vCenter 2.x Editions (1005153).
Note: This is only valid for VI 3.x.
Note: If you make a correction to the license file, repeat step 5. This is only valid for VI 3.x.
Cannot Add a Host to VirtualCenter (1003623) for Virtual Infrastructure 3.x
If your problem still exists after trying the steps in this article, file a support request with VMware Support and note this KB Article ID in the problem description. For more information, see Filing a Support Request in My VMware (2006985).
- Adding an ESXi host to vCenter Server fails with the error: Host cannot be added to the vCenter as there are not enough Virtual Center Agent Licenses (1018275)