The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) support on ESXi/ESX (1004617)
Note: The scope of this article only covers Microsoft Cluster Service on ESXi/ESX and does not include other clustering solutions such as Oracle RAC. For more information on Oracle RAC clustering, see the Oracle Databases on VMware RAC Deployment Guide.
To determine which releases of ESXi/ESX support MSCS, consult the table below. The information is based on the release notes for each release as well as the published product documentation. For related information, see the VMware Compatibility Guide.
- Windows 2008 is only supported from vSphere 4.0 due to the persistent SCSI-3 reservation support requirement.
- For a list of supported guest operating systems for vSphere 4.x/5.x, see Microsoft Clustering on VMware vSphere: Guidelines for Supported Configurations (1037959).
- The information in these documents is only as current as the document's Last Modified Date. Check frequently for additions and updates to the release notes.
- For information regarding supported 64- and 32-bit Windows guests, refer to the documentation in the table above.
- Sharing RDMs between between two virtual machines without a clustering solution is not supported. For more information, see Microsoft Clustering on VMware vSphere: Guidelines for Supported Configurations (1037959).
- There are separate release notes for each release of ESX Server 3. Consult the VMware Infrastructure 3 documentation page specific to the version you are using:
- When a cluster solution is qualified, it receives a Designed for Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008 logo and is listed in the Windows Server Catalog under Cluster Solutions.
- For related information, see:
- For information on the support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 897615.
- For information on Microsoft server software and supported virtualization environments, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 957006.
- For information on Windows Server 2003 cluster support policy, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 309395.
- For information on the Microsoft Support Policy for Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 943984.
Note: The preceding links were correct as of September 23, 2010. If you find a link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
For translated versions of this article, see:
- Using VMware Converter to convert Microsoft Cluster (MSCS) nodes to virtual machines
- Microsoft Clustering on VMware vSphere: Guidelines for Supported Configurations
- Suporte do Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) para o ESX/ESXi
- ESXi/ESX 上的 Microsoft 群集服务 (MSCS) 支持
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.