Manually configuring a virtual machine to use the e1000 network adapter driver (1003020)
Installing VMware Tools in a virtual machine configured with a virtual network interface card (NIC) automatically installs the vmxnet driver and switches the network adapter to vmxnet. Some physical network adapters require that the e1000 interface and driver be used for the virtual NIC.
For more information on adding or modifying virtual network interfaces of a virtual machine, see the Configuring and Managing Virtual Machines - Network Virtual Machine Configuration section in the Virtual Machine Administration Guide for the appropriate version of ESX.
Note: Before you begin, please review Restarting the Management agents on an ESX or ESXi Server (1003490) for important information on restarting the mgmt-vmware service.
- Power off and unregister the virtual machine prior to making this change.
Note: You can also reload the .vmx file after editing without unregistering the virtual machine. For more information, see Reloading a vmx file without removing the virtual machine from inventory (1026043).
- Log in as root to the terminal of the VMware ESX host.
- For VMware ESX 4.1 and earlier, see Connecting to an ESX host using a SSH client (1019852). Alternatively, access the physical console and press Alt+F1 to begin the authentication process.
- For VMware ESXi 4.1, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 (1017910).
- For VMware ESXi 4.0 and 3.5, see Tech Support Mode for Emergency Support (1003677).
- Locate and open the virtual machine configuration file (.vmx) for editing. For more information on procedures for editing the configuration files, see Editing configuration files in VMware ESX (1017022).
- The network configuration options start with ethernet, numbered according to the interface, appearing similar to:
ethernet0.present = "true"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"
ethernet0.networkName = "Virtual Machine Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:ab:74:96"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
- Back up the existing configuration file.
cp testvm.vmx testvm.vmx.backup
- For each network interface you want to change to e1000, modify the virtualDev line:
ethernetN.virtualDev = "e1000"
Save the virtual machine configuration file.
- Register and power on the virtual machine.