The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Recreating a missing virtual machine disk descriptor file (1002511)
This article helps you to recreate a lost virtual disk descriptor file (VMDK). You may need to recreate missing header/descriptor files if:
- The virtual machine disk file listed in the Datastore Browser is your virtual machine's flat file, and does not have an icon.
- When powering on a virtual machine, you see a File not found error.
- The flat file exists when viewing the virtual machine's directory via the terminal, VMware vSphere Management Assistant (vMA), or VMware Command-Line Interface (vCLI).
- The disk descriptor file for the virtual machine's disk does not exist or is corrupted.
- In the virtual machine's vmware.log file, you see messages similar to:
Jul 22 09:22:32.141: vmx| DISKLIB-LINK : "myvm.vmdk" : failed to open (The system cannot find the file specified).
Jul 22 09:22:32.141: vmx| DISKLIB-CHAIN : "myvm.vmdk" : failed to open (The system cannot find the file specified).
Jul 22 09:22:32.141: vmx| DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'myvm.vmdk' with flags 0xa (The system cannot find the file specified).
Jul 22 09:22:32.142: vmx| Msg_Post: Error
Jul 22 09:22:32.142: vmx| [msg.disk.fileNotFound] VMware ESX Server cannot find the virtual disk "myvm.vmdk". Please verify the path is valid and try again.
Jul 22 09:22:32.142: vmx| [msg.disk.noBackEnd] Cannot open the disk 'myvm.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Jul 22 09:22:32.142: vmx| [msg.disk.configureDiskError] Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.
- In the /var/log/hostd.log file of an ESXi 5.0 host, you see messages similar to:
2011-07-13T17:59:48.704Z [74258B90 info 'Libs'] FoundryVMDBPowerOpCallback: VMDB reports power op failed for VM /vmfs/volumes/4e1
c0986-14d88a26-416a-000c2988e4dd/myvm/myvm.vmx with error msg = "VMware ESX cannot find the virtual disk "myvm_2.vmdk". Verify the path is valid and try again.
--> Cannot open the disk 'myvm_2.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
--> Reason: The system cannot find the file specified." and error code -57.
2011-07-13T17:59:48.705Z [74258B90 info 'Libs'] Vix: [3057 foundryVMMsgPost.c:1354]: Error VIX_E_FAIL in FoundryVMGetMsgPostError
(): Unknown error
2011-07-13T17:59:48.775Z [743C0B90 info 'vm:/vmfs/volumes/4e1c0986-14d88a26-416a-000c2988e4dd/myvm/myvm.vmx' opID=841A7BF1-00000188] Failed to do Power Op: Error: (4) A file was not found
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.