The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Removing an ESX host with running virtual machines from VirtualCenter (1002314)
In the event that you need to remove an ESX host from VirtualCenter with out entering maintenance mode or affecting the running virtual machines you have to manually remove the rpms associated with the registration of an ESX host to VirtualCenter.
To remove the ESX host from VirtualCenter without affecting the running virtual machines you must:
- Right-click the ESX host in the VirtualCenter inventory.
- Choose Disconnect.
- Right-click on the ESX host and select Remove. The ESX host is safely removed from VirtualCenter.
VMware recommends removing the VirtualCenter management agent and VMware HA services afterward. This can be done from the ESX Service Console by running the following commands:
- export LGTO_AAM_VMWARE_REMOVAL=1
- rpm -e LGTOaama
- rpm -e LGTOaamvm
- rpm -e VMware-vpxa
At this point, the ESX host may be added to another VirtualCenter server for management or be used as a standalone server.
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
- 日本語: 仮想マシンが稼動している ESX ホストを VirtualCenter から削除する (2078899)
- 简体中文: 从 VirtualCenter 移除正在运行虚拟机的 ESX 主机 (2062164)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.