The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
VMware vCenter Server IP address change causes VMware ESX hosts to disconnect (1001493)
The ESXi/ESX hosts disconnect because they store the IP address of the vCenter Server in configuration files on each of the individual servers. This incorrect address continues to be used for heartbeat packets to vCenter Server.
There are two methods to get the ESXi/ESX hosts connected again. Try each one in order, testing your results each time.
Before performing either method, ensure that the Managed IP Address of the vCenter Server has been updated to reflect the new IP address being used. For more information, see Verifying the vCenter Server Managed IP Address (1008030).
- Log in as root to the ESXi/ESX host with an SSH client. For more information, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x (1017910).
- Using a text editor, edit the
/etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfgfile and change the
<serverIp>parameter to the new IP of the vCenter Server.
ESXi 5.x: The
vpxa.cfgfile is located at
- Save your changes and exit.
- Restart the management agents on the ESXi/ESX. For more information, see Restarting the Management agents on an ESX Server (1003490).
- Restart the VirtualCenter Server service. For instructions, see Stopping, starting, or restarting the vCenter Server service (1003895).
- From the vSphere Client, right-click the ESXi/ESX host and click Disconnect.
- From the vSphere Client, right-click the ESXi/ESX host and click Reconnect. If the IP is still not correct, go to step 3.
- From the vSphere Client, right-click the ESXi/ESX host and click Remove.
Caution: After removing the host from vCenter Server, all the performance data for the virtual machines and the performance data for the host will be lost.
- Reinstall the VMware vCenter Server agent. For instructions, see Verifying and reinstalling the correct version of VMware VirtualCenter Server agent (1003714).
- Select New > Add Host.
- Enter the information used for connecting to the host.
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.