Installing licenses for ESX Server 3.x (1001383)
Two modes of licensing are available: C entralized and Single-host. Centralized licenses are stored on a license server, which makes these licenses available to one or more hosts. For single host licenses, the license files are stored on individual ESX hosts.
- Go to VMware License Server Tools.
- On the Service/License File, ensure you are using Configuration using services.
- Click the Config Services tab and choose the from path to the license file option.
- Browse and point to the newly created file.
- Click Save Services and click Yes.
- Click the Start/Stop/Re-Read tab.
- Click Stop Server. (You do not need to wait for it to stop.)
- Click Start Server. (Wait for Server Start Successful to appear at the bottom, left corner.)
- Click Re-Read License File. After the file has been read, close License Manager.
- Click Control Panel > Administrative Tools and double click Services.
- Restart the services for VMware License Server.
- Restart the services for VMware VirtualCenter Server.
- Log in to your VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0, click Admin.
- Click the Licenses tab to confirm your licenses.
- Select your host in the inventory and click the Configuration tab.
- Under Software, select Licensed Features.
- Ensure you have selected Use License Server and your fully qualified domain name or IP address is listed under License Sources.
- Under ESX Server License Type, select ESX Server Standard.
- Log in to the server using VMware Infrastructure Client.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Click Licensed Features.
- Click Edit for License Sources.
- Select Use Host License File.
- Click Browse and browse to the .lic file.
- Click Open.
- Click OK.
- Click the Edit link for the ESX Server license type.
- Select ESX Standard.
- Click OK.
- Troubleshooting a VMware Infrastructure Client Administration console that shows Evaluation after Commercial Licenses are installed (1005626)
- Adding new licenses to an centralized existing environment (1005756)
- Configuring a legacy license server to manage ESX/ESXi 3.x hosts in vCenter Server (1010704)
Additional InformationFor translated versions of this article, see:
- Português: Instalação de licenças para ESX Server 3.x (2081347)
- 日本語: ESX Server 3.x のライセンスのインストール (2080060)
- 简体中文: 为 ESX Server 3.x 安装许可证 (2079028)