ESX Server 3.0.0, Patch ESX-3616065: Third Party Code Library Security Update (3616065)
This patch updates the third-party code library zLib in order to address potential security issues with older versions of this library.
This patch is for ESX Server 3.0.0 only. For the related patch for ESX Server 3.0.1, refer to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/9916286.
Installing the Patch
Download and verify the patch bundle as follows :
- Download patch ESX-3616065 from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html.
- Log into the ESX Server service console as root.
- Create a local depot directory.
# mkdir /var/updates
Note: VMware recommends that you use the updates directory.
- Change your working directory to /var/updates.
# cd /var/updates
- Download the tar file into the /var/updates directory.
- Verify the integrity of the downloaded tar file.
# md5sum ESX-3616065.tgz
The md5 checksum output should match the following:
- Extract the compressed tar archive.
# tar -xvzf ESX-3616065.tgz
- Change to the newly created directory, /var/updates/ESX-3616065.
# cd ESX-3616065
|Note: All virtual machines on the host must be either shut down or migrated using VMotion before applying the patch. A reboot of the ESX Server host is required after applying this patch.|
After you have downloaded and extracted the archive, and if you are in the directory you created above, install the update using the following command:
# esxupdate update
If you want to run esxupdate from a different directory, you must specify the bundle path in the command:
# esxupdate -r file://<directory>/ESX-3616065 update
For example, if the host is called depot:
# esxupdate –r file:///depot/var/updates/ESX-3616065 update
During the update process, logs appear on the terminal. You can specify the verbosity of esxupdate logs by using the -v option as shown below:
# esxupdate -v 10 -r file://<directory>/ESX-3616065 update
For more information on using esxupdate, please refer to the Patch Management for ESX Server 3 tech note at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx3_esxupdate.pdf.