The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Service mgmt-vmware restart may not restart hostd (1005566)
- The command service mgmt-vmware restart does not restart hostd.
- The script gets stuck when stopping the service.
The SSH session to the ESX host becomes unresponsive.
hostd fails to restart.
- Neither the ./sbin/services.sh restart command nor the ./etc/init.d/hostd restart on an ESXi host will restart hostd successfully.
To resolve this issue, you must manually stop the stuck service and then restart it.
To stop the service and restart it:
Log in as root to the ESX host command-line via the physical console or via KVM connection.
- Navigate to the /var/run/vmware directory with the command:
# cd /var/run/vmware
Run this command to list the files vmware-hostd.PID and watchdog-hostd.PID :
# ls -l vmware-hostd.PID watchdog-hostd.PID
- Determine the Process ID (PID) management service. View the contents of the vmware-hostd.PID file with the command:
# cat vmware-hostd.PID
[root@vmware]# cat vmware-hostd.PID
Use the resulting PID to kill the process.
Caution: Use the kill -9 command with care. It kills the process of the supplied PID without exception or confirmation.
# kill -9 <PID>
In this example, you run kill -9 1191.
- Delete the vmware-hostd.PID and watchdog-hostd.PID files with the command:
# rm vmware-hostd.PID watchdog-hostd.PID
- Start the management service:
- For ESX, run the command:
# service mgmt-vmware start
- For ESXi, run the command:
# /etc/init.d/hostd start
- For ESX, run the command:
- This issue may also occur if the /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml is blank or has invalid entries. If a backup of the config.xml exists in the same directory the issue may be resolved by replacing the config.xml with this backup file.
- This issue also occurs if the /etc/vmware/hostd/proxy.xml file is empty or has invalid entries. This issue may be resolved by copying the proxy.xml file from a working host and then restarting the hostd service.
[2012-07-30 04:13:26.764 FFFCAE80 verbose 'App'] Plugin 9 statically linked
[2012-07-30 04:13:26.764 FFFCAE80 info 'Proxysvc'] Proxy config filepath is /etc/vmware/hostd/proxy.xml
[2012-07-30 04:13:26.765 FFFCAE80 panic 'App'] error: no element found
[2012-07-30 04:13:26.765 FFFCAE80 panic 'App'] backtrace:
 rip 16d00c33
 rip 16b9303e
 rip 16b327a2
- Restarting the Management agents on an ESXi or ESX host
- Service mgmt-vmware restart no reinicia el hostd
- Service mgmt-vm ware restart pode não reiniciar o hostd
- 重新启动 mgmt-vmware 服务可能无法重新启动 hostd-vmware 服务
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.