The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to connect to an ESX host using Secure Shell (SSH) (1003807)
- You are unable to connect to an ESX host using SSH.
- You receive one or more of these errors when trying to connect:
Network error: Connection refused.
Error code: 24577 (0x6001)
Error code: 110 (0x006E)
Note: This article applies only to ESX 4.x and earlier versions. In ESXi 4.1 and later, VMware recommends that you use Tech Support Mode. For more information, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0 (1017910).
- Verify that there is network connectivity between the SSH client and the ESX host. For more information, see Testing network connectivity with the Ping command (1003486) .
- Verify that port 22 on the ESX host can be reached from the SSH client machine. For more information, see Testing port connectivity with the Telnet command (1003487).
- Verify that the username and password is correct by logging directly in to the console. A common error is to use an incorrect username or password, which causes a login failure and an
access deniederror message to appear.
- Verify that the SSH Daemon is running. For more information, see Verifying that the Secure Shell Daemon is running on an ESX host (1003906).
- Verify that user is permitted to access the host via SSH. For more information, see Enabling root SSH login on an ESX host (8375637).
- Verify that the ESX host firewall permits SSH connections. For more information, see Configuring the ESX host firewall for SSH (1003808).
Note: If your problem still exists after trying the steps in this article:
- Gather the VMware Support Script Data. For more information, see Collecting Diagnostic Information in a VMware Virtual Infrastructure Environment (1003689).
- File a support request with VMware Support and note this Knowledge Base article ID (1003807) in the problem description. For more information, see How to Submit a Support Request.
For translated versions of this article, see:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.