The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
How to upgrade license keys in My VMware (2006974)
This article provides information about license key version upgrades in My VMware.
If you experience issues when upgrading license keys, see Upgrading license keys in My VMware fails (2020939).
- For information on an edition upgrade, see Upgrading a license edition in My VMware (2006986)
- For information on restricted upgrades, see Upgrading restricted VMware vCloud Suite license keys in My VMware (2031988).
A product version upgrade is applicable when a new version of the same product is available. To upgrade a product to the most current version, your Support and Subscription contract must be current and active. While under contract, there is no cost associated with a version upgrade.
When a new version of a product becomes available, you will receive an alert that you are entitled to the new version of your current product. If you do not receive an alert, your Support and Subscription contract may have expired or you may not have the permissions to upgrade that license key. If your contract has expired, you can request a support contract renewal quote. For more information, see How to request a support contract renewal quote in My VMware (2006982).
A product version upgrade is reversible by downgrading the license key. For more information, see How to downgrade license keys in My VMware (2006975).
To upgrade to license key to a new product version:
- Log in to My VMware.
- Select Manage License Keys from the navigation bar at the top.
Alternatively, when you receive an alert for subscription upgrade, click Upgrade Licenses in the alert. This takes you to the License Keys page.
- Select Upgrade License Keys from the I want to dropdown.
Note: If no folders or products appear, you may not have permissions to upgrade license keys on any of the folders or there may not be any license keys available for upgrade.
- Select one or more license key folders. All products that are eligible for upgrade display.
- If you have a large number of products or license keys, you can use the Filter By field to narrow your choices. To filter products within the folders based on a criteria, enter the filter text in the Filter By field and click Apply.
- The default filter options are:
- Product Name
- License Key
- To view more filter options, click More Filters. The additional filter options include:
- Order Info – Order Date and Order Number
- Contract Info – Contract Date and Contract Number
- Custom Labels that you have created
- The default filter options are:
- Select a product, then select the license key.
Note: “Check Upgrade Option” will display all possible upgrade scenarios for the selected product.
- Click Continue.
Note: If there is more than one upgrade option you will need to select the upgrade option you wish to upgrade to.
- Select the quantity of licenses you want to upgrade by clicking “Edit Licenses & Quantities” button.
Note: The quantity you are upgrading must be equal to or less than the available quantity.
- Indicate that you have read and understand the warning, then click Confirm.
The upgraded license key displays under View New License Keys. If any quantities of the current key remain un-upgraded, new licenses keys are generated for the remaining portion of the current product and are displayed in the confirmation process.
Note: The old license key no longer displays in My VMware.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.