The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Confirming the GINA is chaining correctly in VMware View Manager 3.x/4.0.x/4.5.x (1029075)
- Virtual desktop does not boot.
- During startup or shutdown of the virtual desktop, you see the error:
Cannot start gina.dll module. A required component is missing: gina.dll. Please install the application again.
- You are not presented with the login prompt that shows upon boot.
- You are unable to log in to your virtual desktop.
To resolve an improperly chained GINA in your Windows XP virtual machine, you need to ensure the View GINA is the Winlogon GINA:
- Log on to your base image, template virtual machine, or virtual desktop.
- Click Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens.
- In the registry, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\GinaDLL. The value of this should be C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wsgina.dll.
- If you have not installed any software which chains to a different GINA, the default is msgina.dll, which is located at %systemroot%\system32\msgina.dll on your virtual desktop.
- The path to your VMware View install directory may vary depending on the installation directory you chose for VMware View components in your environment.
- You need to create the VdmGinaChainDll string value as it does not exist. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\, create vdmGinaChainDLL and place the secondary GINA dll name in it.
- Occasionally, depending on the behavior of software that you install, the chaining GINA still calls the default GINA, or msgina. This software places its key in its own installation directory, and has a structure similar to this example key. If you are still experiencing issues with your virtual desktop, ensure that there are not any vendor specific keys loaded. GINA replacement dlls are usually related to network management or security software. If you have installed any software of this kind, this is another good place to check for a link in the chain.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<Vendor_ID_or_Name>\<GINA_key_reference>\<GINA_Load_Instruction> = msgina
Note: This procedure is not applicable to Windows 7 View desktops.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.